BHM are strongly committed to the integration of best practice in sustainable design including renewable energy sources.
We have designed and been responsible for the installation of all current technologies from ground source heat pumps to rainwater harvesting.
This commitment to sustainable design is no longer optional. Planning Authorities frequently require, as a condition, 10% renewable energy and BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) assessment of “Very Good”. That may well change as more onerous standards are found elsewhere. The new Part L of the Building Regulations will also require, as a minimum, a concerted effort to reduce carbon emissions in both the construction and running of buildings. In addition the practice has laid down its position towards these issues in our own internal Intranet Manual as follows:
Our Environmental Policy follows EN ISO 14001:1996 “Environment Management Systems, Specifications with Guidance for Use”.
As a Practice, and as lead consultant on all our schools programmes, these principles form a cornerstone of our design process and encapsulate the complete environmental management of the buildings
- "We have worked with BHM over a number of years on a variety of different projects. Their ability to look at the ‘bigger picture’ while at the same time maintaining an eye for detail is unprecedented. All of our projects have completed on time and on budget therefore from a Bursar’s point of view I cannot think of a better accolade."Steve Gower – Bursar, St Martin’s School
- "An excellent new building was created to time and on budget. Not only is the new House beautifully designed, sitting well in the landscape, but it also works superbly for our students and staff and has set a high standard for boarding at Felsted."Margaret McKenna- Bursar, Felsted School
- "We have worked successfully with BHM for many years. We have always found your team to have great vision, enthusiasm, a strong ability to understand the common sense approach to building, always honest, a proactive approach to problem solving and above all the desire to make things happen."Ken Adams - Managing Director, Life Build Solutions Limited
- "We have known and worked with BH&M Architects on a wide variety of projects over the last 15 years or so and have always found them to be professional, sensible, technically aware and with a keen eye for detail. We have enjoyed working with them collaboratively to successfully complete many buildings, all of which we are proud of."Paul Hodges, Managing Director, Management & Construction Services Limited
- "I can without prejudice say that working with BHM Architects was an absolute pleasure, the level and quality of information was second to none. More importantly when we had a question, more often than not it was dealt with there and then. The depth of knowledge within BHM and the way you go about your business certainly makes our job a lot easier."Kingerlee Limited (Building Contractor)
- "With huge thanks for your attention to detail and hard work over the past 3+ years. Your vision for our former car park has exceeded expectations."The Governors & Staff of The Cavendish School, Camden