BHM was founded by Jon Barnsley in 1955. Jon was the son of Edward Barnsley, possibly one of the 20th century's greatest furniture designers and cabinet makers, Edward himself the child of a famous Arts and Crafts dynasty.
Starting with a new house for John Ounstead, Headmaster of Leighton Park School in Reading, Jon went on to design their new music school and assembly hall which, to this day, remains possibly Jon's finest work.
Joined by Alan Hewett and then Miles Mallinson, Barnsley Hewett & Mallinson was formed.
In 1983 John Cahill joined the practice and the work in the field of education began to expand rapidly. Having worked for just 5 schools in 1983, the practice has worked in well over 100 schools and colleges.
Alongside John the current Directors are Mike Harrison who joined in 1991, David Bryan, 1989, and Steve Leech, 1994.
Having adopted the BH&M logo, we found ourselves becoming, without any intention, "BHM" but have now embraced that as the name by which we are universally known.
- "We have worked with BHM over a number of years on a variety of different projects. Their ability to look at the ‘bigger picture’ while at the same time maintaining an eye for detail is unprecedented. All of our projects have completed on time and on budget therefore from a Bursar’s point of view I cannot think of a better accolade."Steve Gower – Bursar, St Martin’s School
- "An excellent new building was created to time and on budget. Not only is the new House beautifully designed, sitting well in the landscape, but it also works superbly for our students and staff and has set a high standard for boarding at Felsted."Margaret McKenna- Bursar, Felsted School
- "We have worked successfully with BHM for many years. We have always found your team to have great vision, enthusiasm, a strong ability to understand the common sense approach to building, always honest, a proactive approach to problem solving and above all the desire to make things happen."Ken Adams - Managing Director, Life Build Solutions Limited
- "We have known and worked with BH&M Architects on a wide variety of projects over the last 15 years or so and have always found them to be professional, sensible, technically aware and with a keen eye for detail. We have enjoyed working with them collaboratively to successfully complete many buildings, all of which we are proud of."Paul Hodges, Managing Director, Management & Construction Services Limited
- "I can without prejudice say that working with BHM Architects was an absolute pleasure, the level and quality of information was second to none. More importantly when we had a question, more often than not it was dealt with there and then. The depth of knowledge within BHM and the way you go about your business certainly makes our job a lot easier."Kingerlee Limited (Building Contractor)
- "With huge thanks for your attention to detail and hard work over the past 3+ years. Your vision for our former car park has exceeded expectations."The Governors & Staff of The Cavendish School, Camden